In response to the growing need to educate the young Chinese during the post-Spanish era, Anglo-Chinese School of Manila (now Tiong Se Academy, Inc.) was founded on April 15, 1899. It was Tan Kong (Engracio Palanca), the first Chinese consul to the Philippines, who established the school. The Chinese Charity Association funded the school. The school pioneered the establishment of formal Chinese education in the Philippines. Today, Tiong Se Academy, Inc. is recognized as the country’s oldest Chinese school.
In 1900, Anglo-Chinese School moved to Ongpin, Binondo. It became independent from the Chinese Charity Association. English was added as one of the languages taught in the school.
In December 1970, the school moved to its newly constructed 5-storey building located at the intersection of Sta. Elena St. and De la Reina St. In February 1975, the name of the school was changed to Tiong Se Academy, Inc. (TSAI) in compliance with the Filipinization of Chinese schools (Pres. Decree176 of 1973).
n October 30, 2011, TSAI was cited as a “Model School in Overseas Chinese Education” at the 2nd World Chinese Language and Culture Education Conference held in Xian, Shaanxi Province, People’s Republic of China.
In 2014, TSAI through the efforts of Mr. Carlos Chung (also a member of the Xavier School Board of Trustees) partnered with Xavier School, one of the high-performing and prominent schools in the country, in curriculum development, improving instruction as well as strengthening school administration and the school’s internal structure. Since then, the school has made significant strides in education.
TSAI is a non-profit, non-stock, non sectarian, private, basic education institution. It offers two academic programs: English and Chinese. It continues to find ways to improve itself by strengthening its internal control, benchmarking with other educational institutions, seeking PAASCU accreditation and the PCNC certification.